How often should I brush my teeth?
Brush your teeth, for two minutes, three times a day – after breakfast, after dinner and before bed.
- Brush your teeth before every orthodontic appointment.
- Brush your teeth after you eat anything sweet or sticky.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles.
- Use a proxy brush to clean the hard to reach areas around your braces.
- A Water Pik can be used with braces and is a great adjunct to brushing and flossing.
- Use a fluoride containing mouthwash before bed.
- Continue to see your dentist regularly during your orthodontic treatment.
It is a common misconception that braces cause tooth decay and staining. The truth is that these problems result from poor oral hygiene. It is important to adopt good habits regarding brushing and flossing to ensure that gum disease, staining, and cavities do not develop.
The Plackers floss for braces can be purchased at Shoppers Drug Mart in Stratford. Please ask the pharmacy department to order them for you.